1928 Austin Seven 'R' Type 'Top Hat' SaloonSold

1928 Austin Seven 'R' Type 'Top Hat' Saloon


Read more »

1928 Austin Seven 'R' Type 'Top Hat' Saloon

This 'Top-Hat' Austin 7 was acquired 30 years ago from a family who had owned her for a great many years - being just the second owners - the first owner in 1928 having been Major Frank James of Swindon, Wiltshire.   In the history file of the car is a lovely copy of a black and white photograph taken of the family in the 1930s.  

When the car was rescued by the current owners it was in very poor condition having been left outside in an orchard.  An heroric restoration was undertaken over many years, as can be seen from the 'before and after' photos.  The car was featured in 'Finds and Discoveries' prior to restoration in The Automobile Magazine in February 1990. 

Although there had been coach-built saloon variants previously, the type ‘R’ was the first aluminium bodied saloon to be designed and built solely by the Austin Motor Company.  Introduced in April 1926, it soon acquired the now familiar ‘Top-Hat’ nickname.


Fitted with a split windscreen as on the Tourer version, the doors of this model were rear hinged.  The Type R saloon continued until 1928 with the final models of this year featuring a nickel plated radiator cowl and the headlamps moved to the wing valences from the earlier scuttle position.  


This car has been beautifully restored from the bare chassis and the interior trim is in the correct material.


Poor health has prevented the car from being used since completion with only a very small mileage having been covered.


Rarely do such delightful, early Austin 7 Saloons become available.

For initial enquiries please call us on 07710-364945 or 01420-474919

Viewing by prior appointment please.