1929 MG 14/40 Two Seater with Dickey
1929 MG 14/40 Two-Seater with Dickey
MGs exploits in motor sport commenced when Cecil Kimber entered a specially tuned and modified Morris in the 1923 Lands End Trial and winning a gold medal.
By 1926, modified Morris Oxford 14/28 chassis were being fitted with special MG bodies. These cars still featured the ‘Bullnose’ radiators and were most attractive, creating much interest among motorists seeking a sporting motor car with a reasonable price tag.
When the Morris radiator was replaced with the flat type, the MG was designated 14/40 as opposed to the earlier title of 14/28. The 14/40 was referred to as the MklV, although confusion sets in when it appeared that some MKlll 14/28s also featured the new flat radiator.
Sales were to increase rapidly as the MG established itself and a move to larger premises in Edmund Road, Oxford saw MG become more independent of Morris culminating in the formation of the MG Car Company in 1928.
The 14/40 holds the honour of being the first MG to win a race and also the first model to carry the famous MG octagon badge on its radiator. Between 1926 and 1929, 851 examples of the 14/40 were produced in two-seater, four seaters and saloonette styles.
Supplied new to a Mrs Margaret Eames and first registered in Staffordshire on 14th April 1929, this MG 14/40 is the Two Seat Tourer version.
By 1936, the car was residing in County Cork, Ireland, where it was to have a further three owners before being acquired by Mr Tom Byrne of Carnew, County Wicklow. In 1981 it was purchased by a gentleman in Dublin, before passing into the next owner’s hands five years ago.
During its time in Cork it was used on a number early rallies, including the first Munster Vintage Car Rally in 1956.
Today, the MG remains in very good, smart order and runs well. It is one of just five examples of the 14/40 Two Seaters known to survive. A rare opportunity, this delightful early MG is offered with much documentation including the original driver’s handbook.
Additional photographs will be added as soon as she has been prepared.
For initial enquiries and to arrange an appointment to view, please call us on 01420-474919 or 07710-364945.