1934 MG PA Airline Coupe

1934 MG PA Airline Coupe - Price adjusted

£69,500

Watch Video »

Read more »

  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe
  • 1934 MG PA Airline Coupe

The MG P-Type was the replacement for the successful J2 Midget.  Making its debut in 1934, the P-Type featured an improved engine with a 3 bearing crankshaft.  The chassis was strengthened and was slightly longer than its predecessor.

Two and Four seat models were available and also a streamlined 'Airline' Coupe model was featured in the catalogue.  

The 1930s was to see a rise in popularity of streamlined bodies as they were the pinnacle of modernity and fashion.  

These Airline bodies were designed and marketed by H W Allingham but were in fact built by both Whittingham & Mitchel and Carbodies.

It is believed around 50 MGs were fitted with this Airline style coachwork, including a handful of the six-cylinder NA models.  

 

This delightful example, chassis number PA0837, was supplied new by T. Hawkins & Sons (Epsom) Limited and registered on the 13thDecember 1934.  The car retains its original Surrey registration number.

 

In the current ownership for the past 27 years, this MG has been the subject a major restoration from the bare chassis which has included a completely new ash body frame with many photographs on file showing the work in progress. 

The restoration was completed recently and the car is still to be run-in with little more than 100 miles being covered so far.

With its charming ‘cathedral’ style roof lights in the sliding head, this Airline Coupe bristles with period features and represents a very rare opportunity to acquire one of these highly sought-after MGs.

 

The car is finished in its original livery of Oxford and Cambridge Blue, whilst the interior is trimmed in blue leather with leather bound matching carpets.

A spreadsheet on file shows some £47,000 to have been spent on the restoration.  

The Original Instruction Manual is supplied along with a number of useful instructions and notes which should prove invaluable for the new owner to assist in the ongoing maintenance of the car and various bills dating back to the early 1970s.

For initial enquiries and to arrange an appointment to view,  please call us on 01420-474919 or 07710-364945