1934 MG Q-Type Replica
1934 MG Q-Type Replica
The MG Q-Type was a competition model produced by MG in 1934. The chassis was based on that of the MG K3 although narrower and using ‘N-type’ axles. In order to compete in the up to 750cc category the stroke was reduced to give a displacement of 746cc. Only 8 original MG Q Types were built.
This MG Q-Type Replica is a very close recreation of one of the eight original MG Q-Type Racing Cars.
MG Abingdon built only eight Q-Type cars in 1934. (Chassis numbers QA 0251-QA 0258). All can be accounted for, and are either in private ownership or museums. Some are still actively campaigned.
The original cars used an HV7 17/8“ SU carburettor through a front-mounted Zoller vane-type supercharger. The supercharger forced fed fuel/air to a four-cylinder 746 cc cross-flow overhead cam engine at a pressure of 25 lbs./sq. inch. Ignition was by coil. The engine was a development of the strong P-Type road unit with a three-bearing crankshaft. Engine oil was topped up automatically from a firewall mounted oil tank via an SU metering unit. The engine exhausted via a four-branch manifold and Brooklands silencer with fish tail. Drive was via an ENV pre-selector four-speed close ratio gearbox. The Q Type had special 12” brakes with drums made by Holden and Hunt. The brakes were cable operated and adjusted from the cockpit to remove slack caused by heavy brake use during racing. Springs were under-slung semi elliptic. Rear shock absorbers were Luvax hydraulic with duplex Andre Hartford friction units on the front. The streamlined boat tailed body was hand-formed aluminium with a bench seat for driver and mechanic. The tail section opened for access to the batteries. The wire wheels were 18x 2.5 inch.
This car is a faithful recreation of the 1934 Q-Type. Access to an original Q-Type, photographs of original cars, notes taken from original cars and original drawings and patterns were used to ensure the greatest accuracy. The car is a combination of refurbished original equipment parts combined with new parts. It is currently UK registered as MG 5640 and can be used on the road.
The only significant change from the original factory specification is fitment of a Volumex supercharger rather than a Zoller unit. The Volumex supercharger operates at a nominal pressure of 12-15 PSI.
The chassis is reproduction and is exactly to original specification and dimensions, using original drawings and documentation with K3 side rails. It includes original design cross bracing to prevent parallelogramming under racing duress.
The axles are genuine N-Type, as originally used on the Q Types. The car has the correct Andre Hartford duplex shock absorbers at the front and reconditioned original Luvax hydraulic shock absorbers at the rear. The axles are supported on the correct larger K/N Type MMM springs for better control under racing conditions.
Steering is via a split track system as original. The steering uses an original Bishop’s Cam system with a quick worm, giving 1½ turns lock-to-lock, close to the original 1¼ turns. The steering column includes a top bearing from the MG SVW range as was used on the original cars, together with an original 3 spoke MG steering wheel.
The brakes are to original specification, with unique Q Type Holden and Hunt brake drums, 12” back plates and central cockpit brake adjustment with fly-off handbrake. Original style torque reaction cables on the front axle prevent spring wind-up under heavy braking.
Photo evidence of original cars suggested that they were fitted with the MG Autolube System, and this has been replicated on the car.
The gearbox is a fully reconditioned and race-prepared original MG serial number (FG) ENV75 pre-selector. The original-style slipping clutch has been replaced with a racing lightweight flywheel and resilient coupling by MG MMM specialists Baynton Jones. Power is transmitted via a new prop shaft through a steel differential carrier into the rear axle, which has been “boxed” with reinforcing tubes to support the differential in the axle. The differential carrier has been machined to allow the fitment of the larger crown wheel as fitted to original cars and the car is fitted with a straight-cut CWP with a 8:36 ratio, reputed to be from an original Q Type. New half shafts and hubs have been used with new heavy-duty hub bearings secured with Roger Furneaux Mad Metrics integral seal hub nuts.
The engine is based on the three-bearing P type block as used on the original Q Types. The engine has been machined and white metalled to race standards by MG MMM engine specialists Hamlins. An original Q / P Type finned magnesium sump is used. A high capacity oil pump gives an oil pressure of approximately 80lbs/square inch. A full flow modern oil filter conversion has been made to the original oil filter housing to ensure modern levels of filtration whilst retaining maximum originality. Modern oil seals are fitted. Other engine features include a short-stroke Phoenix crank and con rods, forged aluminium pistons, gas flowed cross flow cast iron head, straight-cut vertical drive, Baynton Jones cam and valve gear to Q Type specifications and a solid copper head gasket. The engine capacity is the original 746cc. The front-mounted Volumex supercharger has integral oiling arrangements with a glass inspection tube to check oil levels. Fuel-air mixture is fed to the engine via a “Jackson” balanced manifold with blow-off valve. An original specification water pump is fitted. The radiator is standard Q-Type, being based on P-Type, but with the rare modified full diameter 3 inch filler neck and quick release filler as original.
A new SU HV5 15/8” model period carburettor has been fitted to allow flexible road use and superior power band. The car runs well on “hard” racing spark plugs. The car has been set up on a rolling road and runs on high octane pump petrol.
The sump is fitted with a SU float level metering system, designed to allow automatic top-up of the sump during racing to replace burnt oil. The system never worked effectively in period as hard cornering and braking caused an excess of oil to flow into the sump. An exact riveted replica oil tank is fitted to the firewall. The system is fully functional, albeit now with an in-line master tap.
The wheels are 18 inch by x 2.5 inch 60 spoke wire wheels to original specification fitted with Blockley racing tyres and secured using original refurbished strong forged steel P-Type spinners.
An exact replica of the special Q Type light steel 19-gallon fuel tank with baffles is mounted via Bowden cables as per original, and incorporates twin quick release fillers. Fuel lines are annealed copper as original, with twin taps located in front of the mechanic’s seat position, feeding a bulkhead mounted original style SU fuel pump.
The exhaust consists of a four-branch tubular manifold and Brooklands Regulation exhaust system with fishtail, all painted heatproof black. The exhaust includes a replaceable tail section, with additional “cherry bomb” silencer to reduce noise.
The body is hand-built in aluminium and made to original drawings and patterns. It is fully detachable from the chassis and has an opening tail section as original. Attention to detail includes exactly replicated louvring. The body is finished in polished aluminium with a centre mounted rear view mirror to original specification. A brown leather bonnet strap secures the louvered bonnet.
The car has full length racing under trays as original for improved airflow under the car at speed.
The car has fully working aircraft style instrumentation, unique to the Q Type with hexagonal profile switches. Gauges as follows: Rev counter, supercharger boost pressure, main oil pressure, over-head valve gear oil feed pressure, water temperature, oil temperature, ammeter. The dashboard is fabricated in aluminium, painted matt black with rubber edging and laid out as original.
The car is fitted with two 6-Volt batteries mounted at the rear of the car to help balance as original. The standard vertical dynamo arrangement is used for charging using a two-brush dynamo with a Lucas Type 37182 Control Unit mounted under the dash. Ignition is by coil as original, running through a Bosch 007 distributor. The car is fitted with restored original Lucas L140 headlights, P-Type octagonal sidelights and Lucas ST38 pork pie tail lights with in-built discreet flashing indicators. Lightweight mudguards are also fitted. Lights and mudguards make this car truly road-legal. Wiring is by original style black braided cloth wires running through armoured conduit. A Lucas CJR4 Cut-out Fuse Box is mounted on the aluminium firewall as per original, but is only used for its fuse box. A correct Lucas horn is fitted under the supercharger cowl as original.
The car has been re-trimmed in brown leather to original style, including arm rests and has a tonneau cover with storage bag.
The car has a control stalk from a pre-war Morris to provide control for dip/main beam lights, indicators and horn. As a consequence, the dash includes warning lights for indicator and main beam. This set-up provides suitable safety controls in an accessible way but looking in keeping with the car.
Research indicates that this car should be VSCC eligible as it meets three of the five criteria required for a “buff form”; it has original N-Type front and rear axles and an original FG-prefix MG ENV75 pre-selector gearbox. The chassis is reproduction and the engine is a mix of new reproduction and original parts.
For more information and to arrange your appointment to view, please call us on 07710-364945 or 01420-474919V