1936 DAIMLER Light 15 Drophead Coupe
1936 Daimler Light 15 Drophead Coupe
Making its debut in September 1932, the Daimler 15hp was the first Daimler for more than 20 years with an engine featuring conventional valve gear, as previous models had used sleeve-valve engines.
This new model was powered by a 1.8 litre six-cylinder unit and drove through a Wilson preselector transmission. By August 1934, the engine was enlarged to 2 litre, giving a noticeable improvement to performance.
This particular example has the Tickford Drophead Coupe coachwork and it is believed that only five other survivors are recorded with this style of coachwork.
Acquired by the present owner in Sussex in 1982, this smart Daimler was comprehensively restored over the following thirty-six years, with work including the chassis being stripped, shot blasted and repainted, new kingpins and wheel bearings fitted, the body frame rebuilt and the suspension overhauled including the shock absorbers being rebuilt.
The wings were extensively repaired and new running boards fabricated.
The engine has been rebuilt with new white metal bearings and the crank re ground and balanced, rebored and new timing gears and chains fitted.
The preselector gearbox has also been rebuilt and the radiator re-cored. Along with a re-wire and a re-trim in green hide, a substantial amount of money has been spent on this rare motor car.
As is usual with Tickford patent hoods, a handle is inserted into a key way in the near side of the coachwork in order to raise or lower the hood, marketing it an extremely easy operation. A most pleasant motor car to drive, it also has considerable character and road presence, always attracting much interest.
There are two large files of information including an album of photos showing the restoration in progress, along with numerous bills etc and a copy of the original sales brochure and a handbook.
For initial information and to arrange your appointment to view, please call us on 01420-474919 or 07710-364945