1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports

1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports

£36,995

Read more »

  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports
  • 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports

 1949 Lea-Francis 14hp Sports

 

 

Another of the Coventry firms with roots in the cycle industry, Lea Francis was founded in 1895. By 1903 they had commenced motor car manufacture, with the building of motorcycles following in 1911. Cars were built under licence for Singer, however, immediately after the Great War, Lea Francis began building their own cars using bought-in components.

 

By 1925 the cars were beginning to have a sporting image which led to famous and successful models such as the Ace of Spades and the Hyper - also known as the ‘S’ Type this model was the first British supercharged production car and was powered by the Meadows 1.5 litre engine.

 

In 1928, the Ulster TT was won by a Hyper driven by Kaye Don. This race was watched by a record 250,000 spectators and the victory was to place Lea Francis firmly on the map.

 

By 1937 the Company was re-formed with the chairman being George Leek along with other ex-Riley men such as Harry Rose who designed a new engine for Lea Francis using a similar design to the highly successful Riley 12/4.

 

The 12hp and 14hp models that appeared in 1937 continued until the outbreak of war, when the Works concentrated on munitions work.

 

Post war production was to commence in 1946 with updated models based largely on the pre-war designs. The 14hp saloon and sports models were of very high quality and gained a loyal following, despite being comparatively expensive.  Just 118 of this fast and stylish model were produced between 1947 and 1949 – powered by the 1.8 litre engine which gave a maximum speed of 85 mph.

 

The motor car we offer here is a 14hp Sports and the build sheet shows the car to have been assembled and sent to the coach builders - Abbey Panels - on 21st October 1948. Body number 088 was issued and the build sheet confirms the car was finished in black.  She was registered with the London issue KLM 56 on the 27thJanuary 1949.

 

 

Retaining its original engine, this car has been the subject of a thorough restoration and presents in excellent order all round. The original distinctive registration remains and there is an album of photos showing the restoration in progress.  A file of invoices are also included with many dating back almost 60 years. There is also the aforementioned build sheet copy, plus a number of operations notes for the new owner, as well as a Driver’s Handbook.  Now VSCC eligible under the new acceptance of pre ‘56 drum braked sports cars

 

A rare and most attractive thoroughbred sports car, this Lea Francis is certainly a car for the connoisseur.

For initial information and to arrange your appointment to view,  please call us on 01420-474919 or 07710-364945