1954 EMW 327 Cabriolet
1954 EMW 327 Cabriolet
The acquisition of the Dixi works at Eisenach in 1928 was to provide BMW, previously a manufacturer of aero engines and motorcycles, with a foothold in motor manufacturing. The BMW Dixi, a built-under-license version of the Austin Seven was gradually developed and improved, ending up with swing-axle suspension and overhead valves. By 1933, the first true BMW was introduced - the six-cylinder 303. The latter adopted a twin-tube frame and abandoned the rear swing axles in favour of a conventional live axle, while up front there was a superior transverse-leaf independent suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. These features, along with the four-bearing, overhead-valve engine, would provide the basis for the more powerful sporting models to follow.
Making its debut in 1937, the 327 utilised the shortened, boxed, ladder-type chassis of the 326 Saloon, but with semi-elliptic rear springing in place of torsion bars. The gearbox was a Hurth four-speed manual unit with freewheel between 1st and 2nd gears, enabling clutchless gear changes at low speeds, while there were hydraulic brakes all round. BMW's pushrod six-cylinder unit had by now been enlarged to 1,971cc, developing 55bhp in the 327, which could also be ordered with the 328 sports car's 80bhp unit at extra cost.
After WW2 in 1945, BMW's factory at Eisenach ended up behind the Iron Curtain, but rather than strip it bare - their usual treatment of valuable German assets - the occupying Russians chose to restart production of pre-war designs. Both cars and motorcycles were made bearing BMW's distinctive blue and white quartered emblem until a successful legal action in 1950 saw the Munich firm successfully reassert its rights to the trademark. As a result, the Eastern Bloc offshoot adopted the name 'EMW' (Eisenacher Motoren Werke) and changed the blue sections of its badge to red. As its name suggests, the EMW 327 was a continuation of the pre-war BMW 327 coupé and cabriolet, and was virtually identical to its ancestor apart from having front-hinged doors. Production continued until 1956 when the company, now known as VEB Automobilwerk Eisenach, dropped its old BMW-based models and began manufacturing the new Wartburg.
Strikingly finished in red and cream, with cream leather interior trim, this 1954 EMW 327 Cabriolet was imported some 30 years ago whereupon it underwent extensive restoration work.
During the past five years it has been in the care of a knowledgeable BMW enthusiast and formed part of a small collection. Regularly maintained and cared for, the car presents very well. On the road, it feels precise, being shod with modern radial tyres.
The lined hood fits well, and although quite elderly, it is understood to be totally weatherproof.
A classic design in the true sense of the term, this is a rare motor car in the UK and is offered with a considerable amount of paperwork, which includes details of restoration work, bills, copies of original sales brochure, and a list of recent maintenance work undertaken.
There is a current MOT certificate valid until February 2021.
For initial information and to arrange an appointment to view, please call us on 01420-474919 or 07710-364945.